Monday 22 September 2008

Can Lance Armstrong perform in another Tour de France?

Like him or loathe him, you must admit he has been a performer, and that is Lance Armstrong. Just recently has announced he will attempt to ride le Tour de France in 2009.

As a reasonably active cyclist, a weekend warrior, the monsoon frog has watched and admired his performance in the Tour each year over the past decade. Lots has been said about his illnesses, use or non use of drugs, etc. But do not forget the mind. I remember very clearly watching his eyes on more than one ocassion in the Tour. The eyes of determination! A similar - albeit fleeting - look also seen in the eyes of Michael Phelps, caught by an Australian TV cameraman in the recent Beijing games at the end of a race, before the realisation of achievement kicked in and the eyes turned softer!


Real Champions have that look, even if mostly hidden.


For a great balanced overview about Lance Armstrong, read the following and the comments.

http://www.abc.net.au/unleashed/stories/s2370631.htm

Picture copyright owned by www.1.im.cz

2 comments:

TxGambit said...

Thanks for the visit on my blog.

I like Lance for a lot of reason but my main reason is that his last Tour de France was when my grandfather was in hospice and it gave him peace to cheer on Lance. One of the last things I heard my grandfather say was "That a boy Lance."

surfie999@gmail.com said...

Hope you read the article. I thought quite fair.