Monday 25 February 2008

Bloody Monsoon

The monsoon comes in bursts to northern Australia, usually about 7-10 days at a time followed by intermonsoonal drier periods of 30 -45 days. I WILL not explain the intricacies of this process but it is all related to the MJO, atmospheric pressure waves, push and pull monsoons, high pressure periods in Beijing and other seemingly unrelated issues - all available on www.bom.gov.au for you sticky beaks.




BUT it is now over two weeks since this monsoonal burst and it is getting wetter. Have had about 450mm of rain over the past 10 days, and the ground is saturated. And the monsoon is expected to last at least another week or more. Yes....it brings life, but we need a break.........soon.

Clothes cannot be easily dried, especially those larger items such as bed sheets. The mould on all surfaces is chronic, crutch rash is endemic, the lawn grows and grows and grows, green tree frogs are getting sore throats from all the singing and it still RAINS.

We need a dash of sunshine and a vitamin D fix to improve the mood, and I need to repair a small roof crack, but it is not dry enough for long enough to even do that.

And guess what, today it is raining.




2 comments:

Lynda said...

I guess I didn't think about Monsoon in Australia very much. We once went to the doctors office in Mumbai, came out about an hour later and the water was waist deep in the street - so nice (don't want to think about what was in that water). Interesting that our daughters asthma and eczema is better than ever here in Smog Filled Cairo - I think it is because there is NO mould. Mould is evil. Thanks for your comments on my blogg - in answer to your question, the 'deal breaker' for me is because of the 3 years in Turkey, more than being an Australian - The Turks are smart and know that if you live as a resident you will come back and bring them more business - but in India and it would appear here too - all they see are the $ signs. But it is all part of the fun... I think?

oreneta said...

Hi there Peter H, sorry about all the rain, the photos are amazing though. I just found your comment on my kitchen window post...I like your view better...