Thursday 28 February 2008

Durian – the Smell of Asia

Not everyone enjoys them, those of Asian extraction or ethnicity generally like them, and hotels ban them. Almost all hotels in Asia have a VERY conspicuous sign, usually near the main door “NO DURIANS”. The fruit is intricately enmeshed with tropical monsoonal and equatorial Asia, with many Asians paying very high prices for favoured varieties, with a few Thai types especially favoured.

It’s the smell they say. And it is strong and very distinct.

There are a few local growers in our area, and one is a client. So I was given one yesterday. Lucky me.

While durian IS an acquired taste, it is very good. My favourite option is to have durian icecream, a good easy option in Malaysia, but not so easy here unless you make your own.

The smell is very obvious to any visitor entering the carport………it is banned from the house!

1 comment:

oreneta said...

I have got to try some one of these days....I have heard about them often...and I would so like to give it a go. Outside.